Thursday, September 17, 2020

Some Good to Do - ACC Irrigation Design Assignment

 My desired outcome is to grow some healthy foods for most of the year, practically I think up to half the produce that my family eats. Also I want to trade food with my friends who will have different crops. 

My early ideas for foods are - cabbage, broccoli, spinach, onion, garlic, beans, peas, bell peppers. I think it'd be best to have companion plants growing together. And I want to plant what grows well in this region.
I have about a 30 by 30 foot space that gets nearly full sun. After a handful of seasons, I can see it filling up with beds and veggies/fruits/berries, if things go well.
The yard soil is a lot of clay and rock. I may spend up to half my budget on soil and amendments. I have a pretty fertile compost pile about 6 ft. by 3 ft., from which I want to harvest a lot of soil.
I think I will start with a 4 by 4 raised bed, probably about 10 plants to rotate by season.
My budget is probably about $200 [a season], maybe a bit more. Time is not a concern for me. I believe I will have a garden going early next year. My friend is planning to help, probably one or 2 Saturdays, and I'll help improving their garden. I will probably spend at least a month or 2 researching and planning crops a bit each day; I began forming my garden/raised bed ideas at least a year ago.
- Water -
We just had an idea to use grey water from a washing machine to irrigate a flower bed and maybe veggies. I have doubts about finding a safe/healthy detergent.
I will get drip tape or a soaker hose. Water will come from a spigot. I might want a splitter. It will cost very little to irrigate initially.  
I hope next year we can install a rain barrel or 2 and use some to irrigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poetry is ghostly and tired of health.

You are all I want to think of. Snow washes the dove's back. The name brand snack chip, I am broke out of love. I thought I asked polite...